How To Make Pita Bread / Pizza Crust Recipe
There is a wide, wide world of breads out there, but few compete with the simplicity, taste and texture of pita. It is easy to make at home and there is absolutely no substitute for fresh still-hot pita for scooping up creamy hummus or roasted baba ganoush. And on top of all that, it also makes a wonderful pizza crust too.
Yield: 8 pitas or personal pizzas (6 in.)
- 2 ½ c flour (bread flour preferred)
- 1 pack or 2 ¼ tsp. instant yeast
- 1 cup + 2 tbs. warm water (<120 F)
- 1 tbs. white sugar
- 1 tbs. olive oil
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
1. In medium bowl or in stand mixer, combine all ingredients.
2. Slowly fold together and mix all ingredients until it forms one sticky blob.
3. Knead on lightly floured counter or in stand mixer with dough hook for about 10 minutes. Dough will be strong and stretchy. Gluten is your friend here to make the right pita or pizza crust texture.
4. Place dough in bowl and very lightly cover with olive oil. Cover with plastic wrap and place in warm spot to rise for 1 hour.
5. Turn out dough on a lightly floured counter. Cut dough into 8 even pieces.
6. Roll or press out each piece until about ¼ in. thick. Frequently flip dough as you work it to keep it from sticking to counter.
7. Cover with cloth and allow to rise for at least 15 minutes. Shorter time means a thinner pita/crust. A longer time will make a thicker and puffier pita/crust.
8. Heat a thick frying pan or skillet on the stove top to medium-‐high heat.
9. Pizza Crust Only: Use fork to “dock” or poke holes in the dough to keep from bubbling while baking.
10. Bake each pita/crust for about 1-‐2 minutes on each side until it bubbles and browns on the high spots.
11. Pita Only: For the best eating, start enjoying the pitas as soon as they come out of frying pan. Dip and enjoy while still warm. To serve all at once, keep toasty in a folded towel and then after baking, place the towel in the still warm frying pan as a warmer.
12. Pizza Crust Only: Add sauce, cheese and toppings to pizza and then place on baking sheet under broiler on high until cheese melts and browns.
You may also read:
- 17 Quick and Easy Summer Recipes
- How to Make Delicious Vegetable Fried Rice
- How To Make Gluten Free Lemon Cranberry Muffins
- Making the Perfect Gluten Free Sourdough Bread
- 3 Mustard Recipes You Will Love The Most
- Tea – Its Types, Health Benefits and Recipe Examples
- Hummus Recipe – Basic Ingredients and Directions
- How to Make Traditional Iraqi Dolmas
- Easy Homemade Wonton Soup – Ingredients and Directions
- How To Use Coffee – A Brief Guide